- Sortie 29erTrail 125mm 6061-T6 Weapons Grade Aluminum full suspension frame
- 29” diameter wheels for navigating larger obstacles
- FOX front and rear Suspension for a superior feel and ride
- Hydraulic disc brakes for premier stopping power
- 10spd drivetrain so you have the right gear no matter what the path throws your way
Another year into the age of the 29er, and there’s no sign of a slowdown. What started as an interesting trend a few short years ago has become the norm. Why are bigger wheel bikes taking over? Well, there are some real tangible benefits from the larger diameter wheel:
- Angle of Attack – Larger wheels decrease your angle of attack by allowing you to roll over obstacles easier and faster. Bigger wheel = smaller obstacle.
- Momentum – A larger wheel enables one to carry momentum easier though obstacles.
- Surface Contact – 29”wheels are less prone to sinking in soft material such as sand and mud due to the larger contact patch causing lower ground pressure. The longer contact patch increases cornering and straight line traction
- Stability – The relative position of the bottom bracket/cranks to the axles in the wheels also means that your relative center of gravity is lower. This results in a feeling of riding “in” the bike rather than on top of it.
- Tire Clearance – with more tire choices than any platform, the 29”wheel easily accommodates off road as well as commuting tires.
- Taller Riders – 29" bikes tend to offer taller riders a more “natural” frame geometry.
The Sortie 29er was inspired by our beloved Sortie 26” platform. Our goal simple: retain ride characteristics of the Sortie trail platform while adding the benefits of a larger diameter wheel. Not a simple task by any means but what we’ve come up with is a bike that’s being hailed as one of the best 29 inch bikes on the market. We’ll take that!
Diamondback’s Design Philosophy is a no-nonsense approach to building quality bicycles. We want our bike designs to be straightforward: their hardware accessible and their suspension simple.
Diamondback’s Sortie29 3 brings affordability to a pro level build. Our 6061-T6 Weapons Grade Aluminum frame features a hydroformed top tube, a butted and formed downtube, a seatstay bridge, tapered headtube, a 142×12mm E-Thru Axle drop out and Diamondbacks legendary Knuckle Box Suspension technology.
The Knuckle Box, or bell crank, is the core of our single-pivot four-bar suspension platform. Optimally placed pivots equate to a low leverage ratio, and ultimately to superior pedaling efficiency and small-bump compliance. This also allows the shock to work more efficiently and reduces pedal induced motion. It also reduces overall load on the system which will lead to improved shock and bearing life.
Placing the Knuckle Box low within the frame, situates the greatest weight of the bike closer to the bottom bracket, which lowers the bike’s center of gravity and allows it to better track and corner.
Wheel-rate is also one of the most significant aspects of a suspension system. Wheel-rate is the effective spring-rate when measured at the wheel. A benefit of our four-bar linkage is increased control over the wheel-rate. Obtaining the spring-rate curves in shocks from Fox is necessary to allowing us to determine the wheel-rate. Working closely with Fox, we’re able to optimize the wheel-rate to be linear-to-slightly progressive. This results in superb small-bump compliance, more perceived travel and excellent bottom-out protection. For our Sortie29 3, we’ve chosen to run a 4.5” Fox Float CTD Air Shock with Adaptive Logic and Boost Valve Technologies. The extra volume “LV” 190×51mm air shock with rebound adjust and all new 3 position CTD Pedal Platform keeps the rear riding plush without too much sacrifice on the pedal uphill. Climb, Trail, and Descend modes are available with a simple flick, ready to adapt to any situation.
The Sortie29 3 has taken the “everyman’s” best componentry and created an affordable pro caliber build… starting with the Fox 32 Float CTD 29 FIT 130mm travel air fork. This top end fork comes with low speed compression, rebound, lever actuated lockout, alloy tapered 1.5 steerer, 32mm Easton aluminum stanchions, magnesium lowers, and a beefy 15mm thru axle. Fox’s isolation technology (FIT) employs a bladder system that simply keeps the oil and air from mixing to provide optimal performance in all riding extremes. The lockout function keeps your front end from bobbing on long climbs, and at a hair under 4lbs this little beast helps to keep weight down.
Complementing Fox’s stellar suspension package on the Sortie29 3 is a stellar Shimano XT package. The XT Groupo has long been the “everyman’s” pro build, with top shelf performance at a reasonable price. The RACEFACE Turbine 10spd Crankset (24/38t) with outboard bearing is the prefect foundation to power the HG74 chain through the M771 XT 10spd Cassette (11-36t) and the XT SGS 10spd Shadow Plus rear derailleur. Front derailleur duties are handled by an XT 3×10. You’ll be pleased to know that we’ve not forgotten the XT 10spd Rapidfire nor the impressively powerful Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc ICE brakes. The XT brakes have incredible modulation for the ultimate control over your braking power. ICE technology helps keep the 180mm front / 160mm rear rotors cool.
Last but not least we’ve finished off the Sortie29 3 with a set of WTB Laser Disc Trail rims laced to sealed cartridge bearing hubs and a dialed cockpit arrangement with RACEFACE Turbine Handlebar and Stem, a Crank Brothers Kronolog Dropper Post topped off by the WTB Silverado. With a sealed cartridge FSA No57 headset, this bike is complete.
Knuckle Box Frame Characteristics:
Tapered Head tube – Today’s longer travel forks generate more stress on the head tube. Add in today’s more aggressive rider and the need for additional strength in that region becomes imperative. Thus the 2014 Sortie 29er frame is equipped with a tapered head tube for enhanced steering and extra strength.
142×12 mm Thru Axle – Employing Shimano’s new 142×12 mm E-Thru design makes for a stiffer and stronger rear-end on the bike.
Single-Sided Hardware – Single-sided oversized heat treated hardware is used for the three main pivot points allows for easy access to your 14 high-quality Enduro Max bearings simply with standard tools. No more removing the crankset to tighten or service your pivots.
Partnership w/ Fox – By providing suspension kinematics early in our design process, Fox is able to custom tune their shock to work precisely with our frames, improving performance.
LOW AND TIGHT – The Knuckle Box platform was designed specifically to be low and tight:
- Low center of gravity: All suspension parts are positioned farther down on the frame for a stable and balanced ride.
- Low leverage suspension design: Lower air pressure results in longer shock life, less frame loading and better pedaling.
- Tight, compact linkage system of the Knuckle Box bell crank isolates and cradles the rear shock.
- Tight and large anodized aluminum hardware, matched with Force-Rated Enduro Max Bearings: Withstands higher loads and better handles oscillating motion.
If you are searching for the ideal full suspension 29er capable of sustained trail climbs or descents, super D’s, Enduro’s or all day in the saddle XC rides…look no further.
The Sortie29 3 is green and comes in 4 sizes: SM (15.5"), MD (17"), LG (19"), XL (21").